The original builder must have gone through a dozen bottles of PVA glue, and someone later used great blobs of yellow hot glue to make crude repairs and attach windows.
The stylized floral decoration was inspired themify coupon code by a real Swedish cupboard and I painted the entire exterior gray before I painted over that with a rich blue so that when I sanded it a little to convey wear, the first color shows through at the.
I kept the polished wooden floors just as they were and debated painting over the slightly over-scaled kitchen floor tiles before deciding to also leave them as I found them.Door frames are sometimes a little crooked, and I left visible scratches and wear on some of the wood I used for doors and cabinetry.The needlepoint carpet is from the Dollhouse Factory.The dressing table is vintage Warren Dick and I lightly refinished.Additional fluorette lighting was installed behind the new ceiling joists and I added some exposed studs to the left wall.I made enough profit on my investment to cover the cost of all the chandeliers and lamps I purchased for the new house that basically cost me nothing but my labor.More than once I went back gifts for 12 month girl to this "stock" when I made a mistake and needed another piece of mahogany trim or broke a finial off the ridgeline of a dormer window.You can see where I filled in the useless doorways, and then used scrap wood to add new timbers to what had previously been plain interior walls.
It's really quite clever and I'm sure I will do something similar in future houses.
The nursery is dominated by the box bed in the corner that is illuminated by an easily replaced fluorette concealed behind the bed's cornice.
What a lot of time I saved leaving them just as they were after cleaning up an excess of wax blobs everywhere.
Now that it has a new life I can promise it will never be neglected but will be treasured for years to come.
I first started thinking about this project when I purchased some unfinished Bespaq furniture from The Dollhouse Factory and painted some of the pieces in a Gustavian style.
I still had lots of material left over from my down-sizing of Mary Kaliski's house (see the story below) so I had an ample supply of mahogany for heavy beams and joists while relying on my now dwindling supply of weathered old wood trims from.I planned to add some brickwork to the lower floors but ended up doing more than I expected because I was so pleased with the progress I made.The blue looks a little intense here, but I sanded it lightly and antiqued it before installing the walls in the house.Since the staircase was missing along with the other half of the house, I needed to add one and I also wanted fireplaces in the newly designated parlor and bedroom.Although he loved California, they eventually moved back to Washington for work.
Some bricks were painted over several times to add depth of color before I sealed them with matte varnish and then wiped them over with thinned burnt umber oil paint.